Monday, January 17, 2011

Warren vs. Harper

I'm constantly amazed at how different the boys are.  And, how early we knew how different they were.  From the time  Harper was a newborn, their personalities were as different as night and day.  Warren was (and still is) very, very structured.  Like his mommy, everything has to be "just so."  He does much better if he knows exactly what is going on ahead of time.  Doesn't do well with surprises.  And, if you tell him "no"....just tell him why you said "No" and he's fine.  He is always on the go....rarely sitting still, even to eat.  Food is the last thing on his mind.

Harper, however, is completely opposite....like his daddy.  From the time he was an infant, he has been very laid back, easy-going.  He's a happy little boy....whereas Warren is, well, let's just say, is a little more difficult to please.  The only time Harper really fusses is when he's hungry or tired.  Give him some food and he's content.  However, when Harper is down and on the go....he gets into everything.  This is new for us, as Warren was never really like that.  While we had the cabinets locked and babyproofed for Warren, we never really needed it.  Warren never did, nor does he now, put much in his mouth.  No so for Harper.  This I knew.

So, shame on me.  Today, while we were trapped inside all day because of the bad weather, I left Warren in the garage to paint a gorgeous picture of a fire breathing dragon.  He came inside when he finished and told me he was done.  He left the door open, just a smidge.  Mistake #1.  Had the tables been turned and Warren were the infant, this would not have been an issue.  However, if there is an open door, Harper will find it.  And, sure enough....he made his way into the garage....and found the open paint and paintbrushes.  Mistake #2.  Again, had this been Warren, open paint jars would not be an issue.  However...if there is something that could go in his mouth, Harper will find it.  Needlesstosay, I walked out to find Harper licking the paint off the paintbrushes.

I guess I shouldn't tell you about Warren painting the van last week.

No comments: