Friday, May 11, 2018

The Dreaded Dress Uniform

At the boys' school, every Monday is designated as a "Dress Uniform" day, where the boys have to wear very thick, navy blue pants and a very thick, oxford shirt.  While I've obviously never worn it, the uniform seems incredibly uncomfortable.  Add to that the Florida heat and it's enough to make even the parents a little craz(ier).  So, when Warren had his last dress uniform day....it was met with both excitement and anger.  Warren was understandably beyond excited; Harper.....not so much, as it was only the last dress uniform day for 5th graders, not Kindergarten through 4th grade.

After the last dress uniform day, Warren was able to donate his dress uniform to the school "repeat" shop in exchange for a NUT (No Uniform Today) pass, which meant he wouldn't have to wear a school uniform at all that following Monday.

Meanwhile, the school hosted a Chick-Fil-A spirit night that Friday.  And on Monday, those students who brought in the receipt from the spirit night were able to get out of the dress uniform and at least wear uniform shorts and a comfortable, dry fit spirit shirt.  However, if you didn't make it to the spirit night, you had to wear your dress uniform.

Because the 5th graders were done with their dress uniforms, there was a bit of confusion among the "first time 5th grade moms" as to what that meant for the rest of the grade levels.  So, I texted one of the teachers, who happens to be a personal friend (and will remain nameless, unless she moves out of teaching Kindergarten, where she was when she taught Harper) and asked her if the other students were supposed to still wear dress uniforms.  She replied "Technically they are, but didn't you go to Chick-Fil-A?😉"  Ahhh, brilliant!

So, I went to Harper, saying "Good news buddy!  Friday night was Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night, so you can wear your shorts and spirit shirt."  He just looked at me with this completely appalled and a bit disappointed face.  Then my 8 year old put me in my place.  He said "But mom, we didn't go to Chick-Fil-A.  And I just don't feel good about doing that."  You can only imagine the thud I heard as my heart hit the floor!

(And I won't go on to tell you that "said Kindergarten teacher" then went on to tell me I should convince Harper that she had an extra receipt he could borrow.....because some might think that's unethical.  I see it as "that's how much these Lincoln teachers love our kids!")

So, here is Warren on his last day in his dress uniform.  And here is my honest little man, one week later....while Warren was in his NUT pass and most other kids were in their comfy spirit shirts and shorts....Harp wore his uniform, one more time!

No comments: