This year, I have been working through our school district's Aspiring Leaders program. After successful completion of the program, applicants are then considered qualified to apply and interview for Assistant Principal positions. It's been a long road, but last week, I completed and passed the written interview and was notified my oral panel interview would take place Thursday, April 26th at 4pm.
I was beyond nervous.....like "throw up" nervous. I spent most of my evenings studying and preparing the sample questions we had been given. I worried about who would be in the interview, hoping and praying it wouldn't be people I knew....because that's always awkward. I knew ahead of time that I would have at least one regional director in the interview, but I didn't know who. Of course I worried about who that would be and just hoped for one in particular. I took a half day just so I could chill out, calm down and mentally prepare.
As I showered and got dressed Thursday, I repeated the same prayer. I asked God to calm my fears, and give me the right words, but above all, I prayed that he would give me peace. Peace that comes from knowing the journey would end exactly as it's supposed to.
I got in the car and began to drive away, but not before I turned on my radio to Joy FM. My boys will tell you that Joy FM is all I listen to. And I will admit, a lot of times they play the same songs over and over. I should've known Thursday would've been different. When I turned on the radio, I heard a new song....one I had never heard before. And I can honestly say I've never really "heard" God speak to me......but Thursday, I truly believe He spoke to me through this new song that "just happened" to come on as I started my car. The song is called Confidence, by Sanctus Real and the verse goes like this:
So give me faith like Daniel in the lion's den
Give me hope like Moses in the wilderness
Give me a heart like David, Lord be my defense
So I can face my giants with confidence.As I listened to the song and took some deep breaths, a calmness came over me as I literally drove off in tears....confident! When I arrived at the interview, I checked in and sat down to wait. I was about 15 minutes early, so I was surprised when I heard my name called shorty after. But I was even more surprised when I looked up to see the one regional director I was hoping for! Familiar smiles bring such comfort!
After the 5 panelists introduced themselves, we started the interview. Shortly after we began, the door behind me opened and a sixth panelist walked in. Because my back was to the door, I couldn't see who was coming in....but you can imagine the nerves welling back up. As I turned around, I was greeted by yet another familiar smile! My best friend (of over 20+ years)'s brother! The three of us spent a lot of time together in college and when I saw his big smile, I was, again, comforted as it took me right back to those days.
I felt good as I left the interview...I felt confident. I was proud of myself for "facing my giants" and I was confident that whatever the results were...I would end up right where I would need to be. Oh, and get this.....in an interview (just to be clear......for a public school assistant principal), I was asked the perfect question which allowed me an opportunity to share about my role as a servant leader...within my church! Coincidence?
*And just in case you're curious how the story ends....I passed my oral interview, so as they say "I'm swimming in the AP pool!"
No comments:
Post a Comment