So, we may not live in the Joneses' American Dream home....but we're not keeping up with them. We live in the Mayeses' American Dream home...where it's a lot less exhausting....a lot less expensive....and a whole lot more worth it!
Welcome to this crazy little thing we call life. We surely learn as we go, but one thing we've learned so far...in the end, it's all about love and laughter.
Thursday, October 15, 2015
The Fence
Chris and I love our house. But, probably like most, we dream of living in an "American Dream" kind of house. We've thought about putting in a pool, but when we work the numbers, it just isn't cost effective...and it'd be better to move. We've tossed around the idea of moving so much that we've even met with a realtor. We get daily emails from Zillow alerting us to houses for sale in our area. And, I'd be lying if I told you that there wasn't any part of us that doesn't want to "keep up with the Joneses." I think, somewhere deep down, everyone feels that way.
But, what I've realized is that "keeping up with the Joneses" is exhausting. And expensive. And, at the end of the day...totally not worth it. You see, if we had moved to that "American Dream" house...you know the kind. Two story. Beautiful front porch probably with two rocking chairs. A gorgeous, well manicured yard. A fireplace. A pool. A nice white fence. If we had moved to that house, we would've missed our fence. Crazy? Yes, maybe. Especially when you see our fence. Chris and I built our fence when we moved in, before the boys were born. A lot of sweat went into that fence. And now, on one side of our fence, there's a board missing. It fell off some time ago on the neighbor's side and they have yet to fix it. This weekend, we learned why.
When Inca and Poncho started talking about fixing the fence, their 4-year old son, Boppy, stated crying and said "No! You can't fix the fence. If you fix the fence, then I won't get to see my friends." Little did we know that our two boys have been meeting up with Boppy at the fence every afternoon. They talk through the fence about their plans for the afternoon. Sometimes, I'll hear Warren say "I'm going to go do my homework. Let's meet back at the fence in 15 minutes." What fun memories being made at our fence.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment