Saturday, February 16, 2019

Full Circle: Solo & Ensemble

Life has really come full circle lately.  Chris and I were both super involved in music, growing up...and even still.  Being in band meant participating in Solo & Ensemble every year.  Something we both did beginning in seventh grade.

This year, in sixth grade, Warren began playing percussion in band and.....had the "opportunity" to participate in Solo & Ensemble.  He worked on his solo, a bit secretly, for several months at school.  And with the help of his sweet band director, Mr. McElwain, he was ready for his solo performance last weekend!  For those of you asking and wondering, Chris actually worked very little with Warren.  In fact, neither of us had heard the entire solo until he performed it for the judge.  Trying to "teach" your own kid doesn't prove to be very successful in our home.

So, like Chris and I did growing up, we loaded up the grandmas and all headed over to Lake Region, where we'd sit in the cafeteria while Warren warmed up before his scheduled performance.  It brought back so many fun memories for us as we sat, in a cafeteria filled with a loud mismash of instruments.....and watched him work through his nerves, practicing two especially tricky measures.  We talked him through the nervous mind game...."Don't practice it too much at this point.  You know it.  Just relax.  Take a break from it for a little bit."

And all the while, Harper sat.  (As a sidenote.....kudos to Harp, as he is the most patient, supportive little brother.)  Warren had already decided that he was too nervous and really didn't want all of us to go in the room while he performed.  When Mr. McElwain came over, we talked for a bit and he told us he and his intern were going to be at Warren's solo.  I casually said "Oh good!  Warren doesn't really want us in the room, so we're all gonna just sit outside the door."  And he sweetly looked at me and smiled, and said "Oh, well, we're gonna go inside."  I guess you get to do that as the teacher.....just not as the mom or dad.  So, we all resorted to the fact that we'd sit outside the room.

As we left the cafeteria and headed to the judging room, mom told Warren that she'd been praying for him and knew he would do well....to which Warren replied, "So have I Mimi!  When I took a shower, I just let the water fall on me while I just prayed!"

We found the judging room, with plenty of time to spare.  And with plenty of time to pace the hallway, nervously.  And with plenty of time to see the flood of people standing in the hallway.  And with plenty of time....well, you get the idea.

After listening to a couple of the other students, the judge finally popped his head out and called Warren's name.  So....we all sat, while Mr. McElwain and the intern went inside with Warren.  Well, that is.....we sat after Chris finished setting up the drum (the same drum Chris used for his solos....and the same drum he's been working on "restoring" for this very night).

When Chris walked out, he immediately began secretly recording Warren's performance.  He crossed his fingers as Warren approached the two tricky measures and immediately gave a huge air fist bump when he nailed it!  I all but paced the small hallway, trying to peek, but still stay out of Warren's line of sight.  The grandmas stood at the end of the hallway, trying to juggle between watching Warren, and watching Warren's two incredibly proud parents.  And Harper....you guessed it.  Harper sat.  But, Harper didn't just sit.  He sat with his little hands folded, praying for his big brother.  (Probably praying he did well, so we didn't have to "deal" with the wrath of disappointment and anger that would surely ensue if he didn't do well.....but, praying nonetheless.)

Warren finished and walked out with a smile.  We all congratulated him on finishing, no matter what the judges score said.  As we walked back over to the cafeteria where we would "sit and wait" for scores to be posted, Warren turned to me and said "Mom, I just want to cry though.  I don't feel like I did very well and I really messed up on a couple of parts."  I told him to hold the tears until the scores came out and if the scores reflected that he didn't do so well, then he could cry.  Otherwise...."Suck it up, Buttercup."

We found a couple of chairs and a waiting spot...and while we waited, Harper sat.  Again the memories came flooding back.  I remember the nervous excitement, so well....waiting for scores to be posted and thought about how these nights would become such fun memories for Warren, too.  At first,  the high school "runners" got fumbled up with the tape used to post the scores.  We waited.  Then, with each batch of scores, Warren (and every other kid) walked up to the wall to find it wasn't his turn yet.  So, we waited....and Harper sat.  When Warren's scores were finally posted, Chris and I couldn't have imagined the smile that would come as a result of his hard work!  He earned his first Superior!  In fact, we were all smiling.  Even Harper....for his sitting and waiting was finally over and we could go celebrate with ice cream!
Hard earned smile....and a fist bump!

No comments: