To begin, this past Sunday was my turn to be the parent helper in Harper's Sunday School class. I have to give it to his Sunday School teachers. Ms. Alyna and Ms. Shannon are two of the best. They work hard to keep the kids active and having fun, but they also weave in the weekly Bible curriculum...not easy with a class of 3 year olds I learned. On this particular morning, the Bible story was on loving one another and showing love to each other. (How fitting, as Sunday was also the morning Westboro Baptist Church chose our church to picket.) Anyway, Harper was all ears as Ms. Alyna shared the Bible message. He was one of the few to actually remain seated and participate in the lesson...very loudly, I might add. So, when Ms. Alyna asked the kids "Who knows where love comes from?" Harper did not hesitate to shout out his answer. "Lovebugs!" So, maybe weaving in the Bible story is a bit harder than I imagined.
Fast forward two minutes to music time. As the kids crowded together on the small carpet, they were ready to sing "Itsy Bitsy Spider." Harper loves music and this time was no different. He stood up and started belting the song, complete with hand motions. That is...until the sun dried up all the rain. Not only did the sun dry up all the rain, but the sun also smacked Harper's friend in the face. You might be thinking, as I was, "This would be a perfect time to model 'showing love." And, you would be right. However, Harper was more interested in showing love to the spider than his friend, apparently.
Also this week, Harper surpassed his brother in weight. Harper (who is 3 years younger than Warren, mind you) weighs 47 pounds, while Warren weighs 44 pounds. And this weekend, I figured out why. On our way home from lunch Sunday, I glanced in the rearview mirror to find Harper stretching his neck to either side. I asked him what he was doing, to which he replied "I'm just exercising, Mom. This is how I exercise my neck. But some time it might just come off." And, I believe that is the extent of Harper's exercising. My kind of kid!
Finally, leaving Chick-Fil-A tonight, with balloon animals in tow, Harper's green dolphin says to Warren's Orca whale, "Don't kill me. I'm your best friend, remember?" To which Warren's whale replies, "Um, Harper, I think you mean brother." Harper's response: "Oh ya, but it's the same thing." I hope so, sweet Harper, I hope so.
No comments:
Post a Comment