 |
| On the road |
In starting the Carol Marsh Kids 2 Camp 5K at our church, I've worked really hard over the past four years to make sure that our church has enough money to help send all kids to camp. We know camp is life changing. And, although I was never a camper and never "on team"....I experienced the life changes through Chris. But, all that to say....it never really dawned on me that I'd be sending our own son to camp. So, that time has come. Yesterday, we packed up to drop Warren off at the Warren W. Willis Camp in Leesburg, FL.
Those who know me well, can only imagine the struggles I had with this packing. Yes, camp sent a great list of "What to Pack" and I had received some great suggestions from friends, but for some reason, that didn't make it any easier. With my list in hand, I carefully packed each outfit (with Chris saying "Honey, you know he's gonna be hot, sweaty and stinky in everything he wears, right?") in a Zip-Loc bag. Then the struggle became "Do I label the bag with the day? Or just let him go with it?" After conferring with Chris (who has much more camp experience than I), we compromised....I decided to let Warren "just go with it" with his daily outfits, but I did label some of the extra things that we were to send (like "Plastic bag to put wet suit in"). (In this specific case, it dawned on me later that, because I packed
everything in Zip-Loc bags, he would have more than enough "plastic bags to put wet suits in".) Oh well! Better to be safe, than sorry, right?
So, after packing and repacking, and texting sweet, patient friends with a million ridiculous questions, and having friends and family tell me "You're overthinking this.".....I was ready for Chris to double check the duffle bag! We checked and rechecked and were certain we had everything.....zip it up!
Since check-in was Monday, we had the grandmothers over Sunday night for the "last supper" which, by request, was Harriet's Johnny Marzetti (mac-n-cheese, hamburger meat and spaghetti sauce) and brownie sundaes. Monday, before we pulled out of town, we stopped at Fred's for lunch. Since I had no idea what he would be eating during the week, I had to make sure he had at least two good meals before he left.
 |
| We made it! |
And, I'll be honest....arriving at camp was um, overwhelming, to say the least. The lodge was packed with kids...and noise! I knew Registration opened at 2:00, but nowhere did any of my "camp materials" say the doors opened at 1:00. (and trust me, I read everything.....many times) So, we waited for a bit.....lots of nervous excitement, while Warren was
everything, but, hanging on us. And while waiting for so long during Registration was kinda rough, it was comforting to see so many people from our church!
 |
| Happy Camper |
 |
| Unpacking |
Once we finished Registration, we headed to our cabin. We were the first ones there, so Warren was able to choose his bunk. After testing several out, and practicing going up and down the ladder, he chose a top bunk....the one closest to the bathroom. We brought in his carefully packed duffle bag and watched him unpack and get settled in as the other boys slowly trickled in. First Nathan, then Jack, then Tobin. Even Warren's flag football buddy, Tyler, was in his cabin! Again, my mind was comforted as I saw all our FUMC boys coming together in one cabin! Then, in what seemed to be no time at all, one of the counselors (God bless those guys) came in and said "Parents, we're having our cabin orientation at 4:00, so we need to ask you to leave by 3:45." WHAT??? Boy that time flew! So, we quickly gave Warren a kiss and a hug and said our goodbyes. Not the goodbye I had prepared for, but it all happened so quickly.....I didn't even have time for tears! Funny how God orchestrates that, isn't it?
 |
| FUMC friends |
 |
| The boys of cabin 6-B |
 |
| Free slurpees! |
 |
| Harry Potter and popcorn |
Throughout the afternoon, Harper was a trooper! He waited with us, walked around with us, and even carried stuff for us. I've felt badly for him, since Warren has gotten so much attention with "this camp thing"....Warren got a new camera and a new sleeping bag, etc. So, as we were leaving, we promised him we'd stop by 7-11 for a free slurpee! But, on the way home....I realized, he seemed to be soaking up this "only child" thing. In fact, after our slurpees, Chris and I were talking about something we needed to do that day and Harper chimed in with "Um, guys....this is MY week!" Since it was "HIS week"....we let him plan our first night without Warren. He picked pizza from Jet's (he wanted a BLT, minus the L and T) and Harry Potter. He has been waiting to watch Harry Potter this week, because Warren doesn't like to watch them. So, we picked up our pizza on the way home, settled in and watched Harry Potter. (And, yes, I was definitely watching the movie.....but I couldn't help but check my phone.....as our Director of Children's Ministries snuck a picture of our sweet boys after the first night of Chapel.) Then off to bed for Night 1, which I'm sure (or at least I hope) was 100 times more difficult for me, than for Warren. And, since Harper and Chris both fell asleep easily, I'm guessing it wasn't difficult on either of them.
 |
| First night of chapel |
But, as I laid down to go to sleep, I started thinking all the "What Ifs" that us moms think. "What if I should've packed a fitted sheet for under his sleeping bag?" "What if he pees in his bed tonight?" "What if he starts crying?" "What if the other moms send an email for them to get tomorrow? Will he feel left out if he doesn't get one?" "What if he wants this Cabbage Patch doll that we were too embarrassed for him to take?" "We didn't send his Melatonin. What if he can't fall asleep? At least Jack didn't have Melatonin either." While Warren might not have had Melatonin, I sure as heck did...and finally fell asleep around 2am.
Yes, I woke up and immediately logged on to the camp website to send him an email. Yes, I'm refreshing that website every 5 minutes to check for photos. Yes, I have our close friends and family sending him letters throughout the week. So, I'm sure he is having an amazing time. And, I know this is all so much harder on me, than it is on him! It is such a blessing knowing he is surrounded by so many FUMC people who know him and are watching out for him. Here's to a great week...excuse me while I go refresh that website!
1 comment:
<3 Just know that I have been thinking the same thoughts, and am feeling the same things you are!!!! I'm with ya, sister! We will get through the week and they will be having a blast. If you need me to come spray lavender on your pillow so you can sleep, let me know!!! Love you!!!
Post a Comment