That being said...I'd be lying if I told you it's my favorite time of day....every single day. Most days, it is my favorite time of the day. But there are also many, many nights that I conk out right beside my boys and it takes every fiber of my being to stay awake and keep reading and listening and talking.
But more than modeling fluent and expressive reading and building vocabulary and all those things we teachers know are benefits of reading to your kids.....is the conversation....the discussion and the relationship that comes from that time.
Take last night, for example. Harper read a couple of nonfiction books. As we finished, and were laying in his star Dream Tent, I asked him what he most likes to read about. Animals, planets, dinosaurs, inventors, etc. Leave it to Harper to reply with "Ooooh, vampires!" So, that caught me off guard...although quite honestly I'm not sure why as that is so very typical of Harp.
He followed it up with "Mom, you know I believe in ghosts?" So, grasping at straws here, the conversation continued something like this:
Me: "Oh wow, really? Have you ever seen a ghost?"
Harper: "No. Or angels."
Me: "What's the difference between a ghost and an angel?"
Harper: "Angels are real people, but they have wings and a halo that floats above their heads. And ghosts are see through."
Me: "Have you ever seen an angel?"
Harper: "Not yet."
Me: "But, you believe in angels?"
Harper: "I have to, mom. Because in the Bible it said an angel named Gabriel came and told Mary and Joseph that Mary was going to have a baby."
Me: "Well, yup, that's true. You're right buddy." (innocently thinking the conversation might end here)
Harper: "So, when Mary had her baby, how did he come out?"
Me: (cracking up, starting to see where this conversation was going) "Hmmm, well, I guess maybe Joseph and maybe some doctors helped."
Harper: (clearly thinking this whole process through) "But like, did they have to cut her stomach open? How did Warren and I come out of your belly?"
Me: (completely cracking up, at this point) "Well, buddy, the doctors helped you and Warren come out of my belly, too."
Harper: (apparently not yet satisfied) "But, like did the doctors have to cut your tummy open?"
Me: "Well, sometimes doctors do, but the doctors didn't have to cut my tummy open. So, what's the difference between a ghost and an angel?"
Whew! So, maybe I should stick to appreciating the chance to model fluent and expressive reading and building vocabulary and all those things we teachers know are benefits of reading to your kids.....and leave the conversation and discussion to another time?
No comments:
Post a Comment