You know the song.....
"I saw Mommy kissing Santa Claus
Underneath the mistletoe last night
She didn't see me creep
Down the stairs to have a peep
She thought that I was tucked up
In my bedroom, fast asleep
Then I saw Mommy tickle Santa Claus
Underneath his beard so snowy white
Oh, what a laugh it would have been
If Daddy had only seen
Mommy kissing Santa Claus last night."
The boys have heard this song a million times, I'm sure. But never has it "struck them" quite like it has this year. We heard it in the car this afternoon and it was met with giggles and "ewwwwws." Then tonight, as I was tucking Harper in bed, out of nowhere he started singing the chorus. To protect the innocent, I said "That's just weird, isn't it?" But he totally caught me off guard when he replied "Not really Mom. What if the dad was dressed up as Santa Claus?"
I've found that you are just never prepared with this thing called parenthood....and this Santa stuff is no exception. So, I kind of thought about that for a minute and argued (yes, I found myself arguing with an 8-year old about Santa Claus) "But, it couldn't be, because later in the song it says 'What a laugh it would have been if Daddy had only seen Mommy kissing Santa Claus last night. So, it couldn't have been the Dad." Whew! I smarted my way out of that one.
Or, so I thought. But I forgot this was Harper I was dealing with. He can easily outsmart me. He thought about my explanation for a minute and countered with "No mom. I said what if the dad was dressed up as Santa. So, if he were dressed up, the boy would've thought it was Santa and wouldn't have known it was the dad." Drop the mic, Harp! I'm out!

No comments:
Post a Comment