What is it about the way in which kids deal with death? Their innocence touches our hearts. This morning, Warren came up to me quoting Yogi Bear, "Hey Boo Boo, I'm smarter than the average bear." (Of course his version had a bit of a lisp on the smarter and the r's sounded a lot like l's.) In any case, I asked him where he heard that, to which he replied "Oh, we heard it at school yesterday."
I reminded him that Pap used to do a really great Yogi Bear impression. And instead of upsetting him, like I expected, he joyfully said "Oh ya. And mom, when we get to Heaven, he can do it for me then." I agreed, trying to hold back my tears. He then stopped and said "Mommy, wisten. Do you hear it? I can hear Pap practicing." Wanting to play along, I stopped and said "Oh ya. I do hear it." With his eye squinted and nose and mouth upturned, he said "Moooommy, not there. In my heart. Wisten, I can hear him practicing in my heart." I guess he really is smarter than the average bear!
1 comment:
He is! Priceless! So glad you are saving all these memories in writing! wish I had!
Post a Comment